Contact Us Today For A Consultation 415-840-0570

Post-Decree Modifications

Post-Decree Modifications Lawyer Serving Contra Costa County

In the years following a divorce, it is quite common for circumstances between the divorced parties to change to a point where alterations to the divorce agreement are necessary. These alterations are commonly referred to as post-decree modifications. They are legal motions filed either by you or your ex-spouse in the wake of a divorce. Post-decree modifications are typically sought due to a change in circumstances (e.g., large pay increase or decrease from a new job, a job loss, a change in health status, etc.) or a breach of contract between you and your ex-spouse.

Modifying an existing divorce decree is not easy and requires an extensive understanding of the laws and regulations governing post-decree alterations. This is why it makes sense to retain the services of a post-decree modification lawyer with The Geller Firm. When you have a Lafayette, Orinda, and Moraga post-divorce attorney from The Geller Firm on your side, the odds of reaching a favorable outcome in the case improve dramatically. 

Change in Circumstances Sufficient to Seek a Post-Decree Modification

It is important to understand that not every minor change in your life will call for a formal modification of your divorce decree. In fact, there are only specific circumstances where filing a motion for a post-decree modification will be worth the effort. Those circumstances include: 

  • Sudden illness or injury to your child
  • Change in employment status
  • Moving out of the county
  • Moving to a different state
  • Seeking a change in custody status with your children 

Modifications May Be Temporary or Permanent 

It is important to note that a post-decree modification can be either temporary or permanent. Ultimately, it will depend on the specific facts and issues associated with your modification request. Some modifications, such as a change in custody status with your children, could be permanent, whereas a pause in making spousal support payments may be temporary. 

Important Information About Spousal Support Modification

If you are looking to make a post-decree modification to your monthly spousal support payment, it is important to know that you need to meet a certain threshold before a court will even entertain approving the modification. The key criteria necessary to meet the threshold includes:

  • A sudden increase or decrease in your income
  • A dramatic change in child-rearing expenses
  • The unexpected loss of assets or property

Important Information About Child Support Modification

Similar to spousal support, there is a specific criteria that needs to be met before a court will even consider modifying a child support order. That criteria includes:

  • You encountered a sudden loss of income
  • There was a dramatic increase in child-rearing costs
  • You refuse, or your spouse refuses, to pay child support

Have Questions about Post-Decree Modifications in Contra Costa County? Contact The Geller Firm Today

If you have questions related to the laws and guidelines governing post-decree modifications in Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, or Contra Costa County, California, take action today by contacting The Geller Firm. Our team of experienced and respected Lafayette divorce attorneys are here to help. We are located in the San Francisco Bay Area and are proud to provide legal services in Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, and Contra Costa County, along with San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, and Pleasanton. Our legal team is available for virtual and in-person consultations. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.